Major Fields for Recruitment (Listed in no particular order)
1. Literature. Shandong University has been well-known for its liberal arts programs. The School of Literature and Journalism has played an indispensable role in the establishment of the academic ranking and international influence of Shandong University in its century-old development. At present, the School has one first-level discipline doctorate program, one national key discipline (theory of literature and art), four provincial key disciplines(theory of literature and art, classical Chinese literature, Chinese language and philology, and Modern and Contemporary Chinese literature), one key research base of humanities and social sciences of MOE(SDU Research Center of Aesthetics of Literature and Art), and one national basic sciences personnel training and research base(Chinese language and literature).
Recruitment of the School favors overseas talents who enjoy high academic attainments and good academic reputation and influence in the fields of aesthetics, literary theory, comparative literature, and modern and contemporary Chinese literature.
2. Confucian Studies. The Advanced Institute for Confucian Studies at Shandong University was founded In January, 2012 on the merge of the former Shandong University Advanced Institute for Confucian Studies, the Center for Confucian Studies, the Institute of Literature, History, and Philosophy, and the Editorial Board of Literature, History, and Philosophy, aiming to "build Shandong University into a global center for Confucian studies and make Confucian Studies a world-class discipline." The Institute has under its supervision six research institutions: Chinese philosophy, Chinese literature, historical science in China, Confucian classics and Chinese philology, classical literature, and folk customs, covering all research fields in traditional Chinese learning, involving the studies of Confucian classics, studies of Chinese language and philology, China's historical science, Chinese philosophical thoughts, Chinese literature, and Chinese folk customs, but with Confucian studies as its focal area of research.
Currently, the Institute is in urgent need of advanced talents specializing in the history of Confucian classics studies, Chinese paleography, and studies on Confucian ideas.
3. Archaeology. Archaeology is an important part of the researches of the History of Ancient China in SDU, which is a national key discipline. Presently the archaeological studies in Shandong University leads the country in social archeology and environment archeology and the University boasts such research bodies as the Discipline Innovation Intellectual Resource Base of the State Foreign Experts Administration and MOE and a state-level experimental teaching demonstration center.
To enhance its own academic strength, the recruitment of talents in archeological studies focuses on interdisciplinary researchers specializing in physical anthropology, bio-archaeology, GIS archaeology, geological and ecological archaeology, cultural relics protection, and paleography.
4. Economics. The School of Economics at Shandong University, with its goal to lead the country in economic studies and make its economic studies internationally known, has launched its strategic program "to internationalize its faculty, teaching programs, and academic researches." The school has one national key discipline (industrial economics), a state-level financial mathematics and financial engineering personnel training experiment base, three provincial key disciplines (fiscal science, finance, quantitative economics), and 3 Shandong Province research bases for public economics, antitrust and planning economics, theory and policy of finance respectively, and a research center for Shandong Province finance risk control engineering.
The School recruits talented researchers with high academic attainments and good academic reputation and influence in industrial economics, public economics, finance, international economics, and quantitative economics.
5. Political science. The School of Political Science and Public Administration in Shandong University has two first-level disciplines (political science and public administration), a political science post-doc mobile station, a political science doctorate program and master program and a public administration doctorate program and master program, and an MPA program. Its featured studies in European Politics and Society, Environment Politics, Regional and International Political Theory, Party Politics, and theory of socialism enjoy an overall advantage and significant academic influence in China.
The school recruits talents with outstanding academic achievements and influence in the fields of theory of political science, international politics, China's political development, public administration and public policies, or young talented researchers with academic potentials.
6. Mathematics. Mathematics at Shandong University has developed into an important discipline that leads the country with full-fledged subjects. The School of Mathematics, with its sound teaching and research programs, has been recognized internationally for its academic excellence and its mathematics was recognized as a "first-level state key discipline" in 2007. The Advanced Institute of Shandong University, relying on the intellectual resources of the School of Mathematics, is devoted to the frontier theory research in the world and is dedicated to making original contributions in mathematics and natural sciences.
The School recruits talents in number theory and representation theory, computational mathematics, probability theory and stochastic analysis, financial mathematics and economic mathematics.
7. Physics. Shandong University is traditionally strong in physics. It has two national key disciplines in physics: particle physics and nuclear physics and condensed matter physics. In recent years, the School of Physics and Microelectronics at Shandong University has been enjoying steady development and has set up a sound mechanism for the development of the discipline and talent cultivation.
The School welcomes leading scholars and researchers in the fields of particle physics theory and experiment, particle detector technology, nuclear fusion materials, and spintronics.
8. Chemistry. The Key Lab for Special Functional Aggregate Materials of MOE at Shandong University has been built on the support of intellectual resources in The School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering at SDU. It combines the researches in chemistry and material science and has oriented its researches in organic silicon elastomer material, organic silicon glue and coating material, heat resisting resin base composite material, and special nanostructure material on the basis of the time-honored researches in organic silicon and the discipline advantages at Shandong University. The Lab is set to develop into a key lab with distinctive features in leading researches in special functional aggregate materials in the world.
The Lab recruits talented researchers in the fields of special functional aggregate materials specializing in organic silicon materials, polymeric chemistry and physics, polymer material, polymer processing, and special nanostructure material.
9. Life sciences. Shandong University gives priority to the development of its life science researches. Its microbiology is a national key discipline and its botany and zoology, biochemistry and biology have been in the top 1% on the ESI ranking. With the goal of building a world-class life science school, the School of Life Science at SDU is the home of state, ministry and provincial research platforms like the State Key Laboratory of Microbial Technology and the National Glycoengineering Research Center, Key Laboratory of Plant Cell Engineering and Germplasm Innovation of Ministry of Education; National Basic Sciences (life sciences) Personnel Training Base, and Researchers and Engineers Ttraining Base.
The School recruits leading researchers in the fields of energy and environment microbiology, plant cell engineering breeding, animal development and cell biology, particularly bio-energy production and conversion and synthetic biology.
10. Materials science. Materials science is a national key first-level discipline and a prioritized discipline for development at Shandong University. Researches in the field are carried out in the School of Materials Science and Engineering and the Institute of Crystal Materials at Shandong University. At present, Shandong University has a State Key Lab of Crystal Materials, and a Key Laboratory for Liquid-Solid Structural Evolution and Processing of Materials of MOE. It is strong in research areas like crystal materials, materials processing engineering, materials science, material physics and chemistry and its goal is to lead the world in materials science researches.
Major recruiting fields for the discipline include materials science (polymer materials, metallic materials, inorganic nonmetallic materials), material processing (forging and pressing, casting, welding), crystal growth theory (crystal growth thermodynamics, dynamics, nucleation theory, crystal morphology, real-time monitoring and computer modeling of crystal growth process).
11. Mechanical engineering. The School of Mechanical Engineering at Shandong University has a first-level discipline doctorate program and an engineering doctorate program. The School has one national key discipline (mechanical manufacture and automation), and has the MOE Key Lab for Efficient and Clean Mechanical Manufacture and many provincial scientific research platforms. The school has in its undergraduate programs a state-level mechanical basic experiment teaching demonstration center and a state-level engineering education and experiment center. Its subject of mechanical design and manufacturing and automation is a national featured subject and a subject for training "outstanding engineers" approved by MOE, which has been recognized by the International Engineering.
Major recruiting fields of mechanical engineering include green manufacturing and remanufacturing, precision measurements, special micro-nano processing, electromechanical product design, and digit control technology.
12. Energy Sciences. The State Engineering Laboratory for Coal Pollutants Emission Reduction at Shandong University is a national research platform established on the approval of the National Development and Reform Commission. It carries out researches mainly in the fields of fuel combustion and pollutant control technology, exhaust gas advanced purification/joint purification/reuse purification technology, energy and carbon emission reduction technology, and technology for changing solid waste into resources and energy. Presently the lab is equipped with advanced equipments for experiments and researches and has a team of 20 young researchers. To enhance the studies in the field, the lab recruits principal investigators in the aforementioned fields and foreign collaborators in the fields (post-docs included).
13. Electrical Engineering. The Electrical Engineering Department offers featured and well-established undergraduate programs. It is now home to a Key Lab for Power Grid Intelligent Dispatch and Control of MOE and has one national key discipline (power system and automation). The Department makes fundamental and applied researches in power system and automation, electric machines and electrical appliances, power electronics and electric transmission, high voltage and insulation technology, and Theory and New Technology of Electrical Engineering.
Major recruiting fields for electrical engineering include large power grid planning, operation, protection and control, electric energy economy and policy, renewable energy power generation, and smart power grid.
14. Biomedical sciences. The Institute of Biomedical Sciences at Shandong University is a special academic zone established to meet the rapid development demand of biomedical sciences. The Institute centers on translational researches of serious illnesses such as tumor and CVD and promotes the combination of life sciences and medicine, basic sciences and clinical demands. In the near term, the Institute plans to set up research centers for tumor translational research, CVD translational research, infection and immunity, and reproduction and birth defects.
The Institute plans to recruit 15-20 outstanding experts both at home and abroad to be full-time PIs and its recruitment focuses talented researchers in the fields of tumor biology, stem cells and developmental biology, neurobiology, immunology, and epigenetics. Outstanding researchers of life sciences are also welcome.
15. Pharmaceutical sciences. Shandong University has gained swift development in pharmaceutical sciences in recent years. At present, its School of Pharmaceutical Sciences is a national key special comprehensive platform building unit for "major new drug innovation". The National Glycoengineering Research Center and the Key Lab for Natural Product Chemistry and Biology of MOE have been set up with the sound development of the discipline. Researches in the School center on the subject areas of natural pharmacochemistry, synthetic pharmacochemistry, microbiology and biochemical pharmacy. In the past years, the School has taken on key projects in the state "973" and "863"projects, the national key technology R & D program, and key international cooperation projects. It has also established close cooperation with many large-scale pharmaceutical industries at home.
The recruitment of the School focuses talented researchers in natural pharmaceutical chemistry and related subjects, including natural product biosynthesis and control, natural products structural modification and synthesis, drug design and synthesis, and biochemical pharmacy. Talented researchers in other related subjects such as biotech drugs, monoclonal antibody, CVD or neuropharmacology are also welcome.
16. Public health. The School of Public health at Shandong University is an important base for public health personnel training, public health research, and public health social service in the country. The School boasts one national key discipline (epidemics and health statistics) and the Key Lab for Health Economics and Policy Research of China's Ministry of Health. It also has an authorized first-level discipline doctorate program and a first-level discipline post-doc mobile station.
The School recruits talented researchers in the fields of chronic disease epidemiology, nutrition and food hygiene, and occupational health or environmental health.